What is Hard Roc Glass?
All JSG Oceana glass products, including our glass
dinnerware, glass serving pieces, and glass giftware are fashioned
from JSG Oceana’s own “Hard Roc” glass formulation. It’s
what brings durability and elegance to our glass sinks, decorative
tiles, and glass home decor products as well. Hard Roc is a
unique form of borosilicate glass developed at Jeannette Specialty
Borosilicate glass is the oldest glass known to show high resistance
to sudden temperature changes. In fact, borosilicate is the glass of
choice for refrigerator and oven cookware. It first came into
commercial prominence when Corning marketed a type of borosilicate
glass known as Pyrex.
Oceana’s borosilicate formula is specially designed to
withstand the rigors that decorative sinks, tiles, and other home
decor products can encounter. It is available in outstanding color
variations and our sinks and tiles can withstand repeated
temperature changes between 0° and 212° F without damage. Unlike
soft soda lime (commonly used in designer glass products) JSG
Oceana’s “Hard Roc” glass is highly resistant to chemical
corrosives and can be cleaned with any commonly used household or
commercial strength product. JSG Oceana glass therefore
will NOT become cloudy or rust marked over time.
Learn more on our Products page,
or by visiting your area of interest:
Kitchen & Bath
products or Tabletop &
Giftware. For business, we offer quantity orders
that can be etched or monogrammed, even signage developed with your
logo in glass! Visit our
Corporate Giftware page to learn more
Hard Roc vs. Soda Lime Glass
The most common designer glass available, and still widely used, is soda-lime glass. It is inexpensive to produce and until the development of
JSG Oceana’s “Hard Roc” formula would have been the glass of choice for applications such as decorative vessel sinks.
Today, JSG Oceana’s “Hard Roc” glass sinks provide the consumer with many advantages in durability and functionality.
- JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass products will not crack or develop lines from hot and cold water usage like soda-lime glass products.
JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass can withstand repeated
temperature changes between 0° and 212° F without damage. “Hard
Roc” glass has a low coefficient of Expansion, 3 times less than
soda lime glass. This makes it perfect for glass dinnerware,
glass serving pieces, and giftware.
- JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass is stain resistant. “Hard Roc” glass is highly resistant to non-fluorinated chemicals thus allowing it to keep its lustrous color and clear quality. Soda-lime glass has only fair resistance to chemical corrosives and over time becomes cloudy from household cleaners and rust marked from hard water.
- JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass is more scratch resistant than soda-lime glass, making it the glass of choice for products such as stepping stones, floor tile, vessel sinks, decorative tiles, flooring medallions, cutting boards, decorative bowls, and more.
- JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass is in liquid form as it is poured into a mould, because the mould gives the shape to the glass sink the sink sits on your counter without rocking. Soda-lime glass sinks are slumped causing them to have an uneven bottom which requires the use of a mounting ring on the counter.
- JSG Oceana “Hard Roc” glass sinks are all IAPMO approved. IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials) is an agency that evaluates plumbing and mechanical products through nationally recognized standards and to the requirements of the Uniform Plumbing Code ™ (UPC ™). All
JSG Oceana sinks went through the same rigorous tests as porcelain and surpassed them.
JSG Oceana’s “Hard Roc” glass enables us to produce a wide variety of
and serving pieces, as well as the only Glass Kitchen Sink on the market. Hard Roc glass is Durable and Easy to Clean, and you can see many examples of its stunning use in our Glass Photo Gallery.
Return to Top